According to McKinsey, email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter because 72% people prefer to receive promotional content through email, compared to 17% who prefer social media. Marketing to an audience who do want to be targeted is hard, but more and more, we are also seeing at Marketshare+ that eNewsletters are becoming one of the most cost-efficient and effective ways to reach the correct audience because:

  1. The audience has opted in to receiving more news about your company
  2. It gives the business all control over their content and timing

With email marketing technology being used by 82% of B2B and B2C companies, according to Ascend2, you maybe saying, “if everyone has an eNewsletter, why should customers opt in to another?” The answer is simple: because yours will be better, and here is why:

How can your company make an eNewsletters that people want to read?

Aggregate a Targeted List

Every good business should have a target market. Getting ahold of their email addresses maybe a little more difficult, but there are a few ways you can begin collecting such information. For instance, make it required to supply an email address to be entered in to win a contest.

Research Your Target Audience

In order to craft messaging that will capture your audience, you need to research what aspects of your industry that they are interested in.

i.e. You are running a clothing company: Your research shows customers don’t understand how to mix and match different products. This presents a good opportunity to write a weekly blog about how to mix and match your products (and other partners products) for different personalities.

Create Content Calendar

Now that you know who you are targeting and what they are interested in, you will need to map out a content calendar. This will help you stay focused on what topics and trends you want to talk about over the next three, six or 12 months. You don’t need to go into specifics, but definitely outline: when you will publish it, the general trend you will be focusing on and possible titles that you know your target audience wants to read.

Write About Topics They Are Interested In

Now that we have done all of this research and planning, now what? Think about your favorite eNewletter that you have subscribed to… Do they only talk about up coming sales? Maybe… but probably not. It is important to keep a 60/40 rule with your content: 60% of your newsletters should serve as an industry resource, like covering trends, industry news and new stats. The other 40% can be used to promote sales and company-focused news.

The point of a successful eNewsletter is not to toot your own horn, but to share relevant trends. Customers are always willing to read a news piece on trends, but they will never accept a flood of emails that serve no other purpose other than to increase your business’s sales.    

eNewletter Services

There are a lot of paid and free services your business can use to send out your eNewsletter. Here are Marketshare+, we generally use MailChimp because it is free, simple and allows you to completely customize your templates.

Hopefully this has helped getting the wheels turning on how to craft a great newsletter. If you need any help in further content marketing planning, feel free to reach out to our team!

About Nicole Managing daily communication with clients, Nicole aids in placing a campaign’s strategic puzzle pieces together.